How can I turn on the UPnP service on my Windows system?
SummaryRuckus ZoneDirector controllers have universal plug-n-play (UPnP) agents that permit a Windows Network Connections to recognize the ZoneDirectors' IP address(es). To discover ZoneDirector on layer 2 network, Windows must support UPnP device discovery.
QuestionHow can I turn on the UPnP service on my Windows system?
Customer EnvironmentCustomer using Windows XP cannot find ZD listing under "My Network Places".
Troubleshooting StepsEnable UPnP/Network Discovery service on Windows system.
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment. Follow below steps to enable UPnP service on Windows.
Windows 7, 8, and 10
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet
3. Click Network and Sharing Center.
4. Click on Change advanced sharing settings.
5. In the Network Discovery section, select the option for Turn on network discovery and click the Save changes button.
6. UPnP will now automatically start when you turn on your computer.
1. Open up the Network Connections window - You can do this by going to Start > Run, type ncpa.cpl in the text field, then press the Enter key.
2. Check if your Internet Gateway device is displayed.
3. Click the link for My Network Places in the Network Connections window (left pane, Other Places section). Check to see if your UPnP client (ZoneDirector) is displayed.
If these devices are not displayed, you need to make sure the correct components are installed in Windows XP. To check this, go to Start, Run, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and press the Enter key.
In the Add or Remove Programs window, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components link in the left pane. In the Windows Components Wizard window, scroll down until you find Networking Services. Select this in the list and click the Details button. Make sure the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client and UPnP User Interface options are checked and click the OK button. Back on the Windows Components Wizard window, click the Next button and follow the directions to install the new components.
Now, you can start the UPnP service to enable it. To do this, go to Start, Run, type services.msc in the text field, and press the Enter key.
Find the SSDP Discovery Service option and double-click it with your mouse. In the window that opens, on the General tab, select Automatic in the Startup type drop-down list and click the OK button.
UPnP will now automatically start when you turn on your computer.
Note that PC be on the same IP subnet of the Ruckus ZoneDirector for UPnP device discovery.